Many respected business advisers and consultants have noticed that 50% of the numbers come from the talent within the organization that strives for success, and a remaining 50% of the success comes from the strategy that is designed, implemented and adopted. 

In this article we will be talking about the talent hired by an organization to perform within its established goals. For the sake of brevity, we will define the following:

Great talent: A players or simply A’s.

Good talent: B players or simply B’s.

Bad talent: C players or simply C’s.

Even though, many still debate if performance depends partially on talent and partially on the resources available to the organization, including its strategy, many agree that talent is a substantial part of the expected success the organization foresees. But, even with all the warnings against those organizations that don’t develop a talent strategy for their performance, there still exists many confusions and ambiguity around KPI’s and metrics that must be evaluated when talent does not help to make the numbers. With that said, let’s dive into 3 main aspects that every organization must define with the highest precision possible.

  1. An A player is somebody who has a 90% chance of performing in the top 10% for the specified compensation level. So, you can be a tape player inside Rep, as you can be an A player chief revenue officer. The B players is the next 25%. The C players, that’s everybody else. So if  you think about you scatter plot of A’s, B’s and C’s when you are selecting people, the big question you have to ask is does this person have a 90% chance of performing in the top 10%?

  2. Moreover, when you’re reviewing your current team and you think about your A players, you should be doing a two by two and A players are in the upper right quadrant. They have all these behaviors; Accountabilities, strategic agility, selling with insight, offered development. They also deliver the number, they sell the right amount of revenue, they sell it the right way, they sell it at the right margin, etc. So, as you are thinking about the talent in your team and asking the question “do I have the right people?” ask yourself what does my A, B, and C players population look like.

  3. You also need to consider if you have a consistent definition of top performing talent within your organization, and if you are publishing that, both, internally when we review and evaluate people’s performance and externally when we interview potential talent. Finally, how robust are you with that process to continue to gauge yourself to keep C players outside of your organization, assuring you to stay only to A’s and B’s.

If you get to work on these aspects of talent strategy and develop the right profiles for your ideal team, then you will be in a better position to develop the right metrics and KPI’s to hit your numbers.

Do you feel that you can hardly differentiate between what it takes for an A player to outperform a B player in accordance to your company’s stated goals? Feel free to contact us for a personalized assessment.